Sunday, October 5, 2014

A Glimpse Back In Time.

You know those days, those ones where you wake up and think, 'today is going to be different, this will be a day that won't blend in with all the others?' 

Ok, well, maybe you don't have those days ...but I do.

For me, today was that day.

It started out in much the same way, get up and rush out the door to get somewhere we "had" to go.

As always, we were in a hurry.

Like nearly everyday before, this was nothing out of the ordinary.

The day continued on in much the same manner until we arrived at the afternoon.

Something was up, and although I couldn't decide what that something was or put a name to it, I definitely felt it.

This afternoon I found myself without kids waiting to meet a couple family members.

A few months ago my aunt asked me to take photos of her son who is a senior in high school this year.

To say that I was honored would be an understatement.

She is an aunt I have looked up to for most of my life.

I remember being a little girl and wanting to grow up to be just like her, smart, beautiful, and driven. 

She asked if we could take some photos of her son at the farm, which for me seemed like a really good idea.

My grandparents had a farm for many years (I should say, generations) and about 12 years ago had to sell and move to town.

At the time I remember being affected by this, it was sad, but I was also 22 and just starting my own life, so it wasn't something that I gave a lot of thought to.

Fast forward a few years and my life was in a tailspin, my father had passed away unexpectedly and the grief and sadness I felt (and continue to feel everyday since) left me struggling to find my way.

It wasn't quite 2 years later and my grandpa passed away.

Life was changing, and for someone who has always embraced change, this was not a good change.

Today, when I found myself standing outside the old house looking up into the windows I could almost hear the shouts of laughter and screams from two little girls who loved catching frogs in the yard.

I could almost smell the savory garlic aroma of raviolis cooking on the small, outdated stovetop.

If I listened really hard I could hear grandma calling for us to "come in and eat!"

Off in the distance, toward the barn, the putt putt sound of grandpas John Deere could be heard as he got ready to mow the grass.

Reality brought me back of course, and I stood staring at a shell, a shell of a house and a yard filled with precious memories of time gone by.

I thank God that I have these memories, however hard they are for me to relive.

So, before I say good-bye, I am going to share a few of my happiest moments (there are way to many to post on here) at Grandpa and Grandma Grani's, I'm so grateful for this part of my happy childhood.

I learned to ride a two wheeler in 1986 at the farm...I was pretty determined when I heard that my 'little' cousin Andrew knew how to ride before me (he is only 6 months younger)...

I spent a lot of time (or so I've been told) with my dad at the farm as a small child while my mom worked. I remember bits and pieces of this...

Some of my most vivid memories at the farm are from Christmastime when we were all together.

There was never a shortage of amazing food to eat when grandma was around. My favorite was and always will be her homemade ravioli. 

And as a warning to my family, the following photos are extremely hard to look at, so you may want to stop reading now. 

Selfishly, these photos are mainly for me, as I don't want to forget a single moment spent here. 

This place was so very special to me.


1 comment: