Tuesday, July 5, 2016

July 4, 2016

For the first time ever, I attended the 4th of July parade in Erhard with no kids in tow,

and although the lack of fighting and bickering was certainly a welcomed benefit, 

I can honestly say that it made me sad. 

I suddenly had a glimpse into our not so distant future.

A future where these kids of ours don't need mom and dad anymore and just want to do their own thing.

A future where our daughter may make some not so great decisions..like walking the parade with no shoes on her feet (because without mom there it sure seems like a brilliant plan!).

A future where mama smiles when she sees them but cringes inside upon realizing that her not so little babies are waving and smiling at a crowd who call them out by name to get them to throw candy.

They are 7, 10, and 11 and I can feel it.

These years are flying by and moments like these leave me torn…

these 3 make me so proud to be their mama, 

but also so scared that it's going by too damn fast! 

So, I'm thankful that I have these moments of clarity amidst the chaos and crazy that is our everyday life.

They remind me that I need to live more in the moment and let them be kids.

Thankfully, they got the opportunity to do just that when we ventured to our friends house later that day to attend their annual 4th of July celebration.

The kids ran the traditional 'water fight' this year without very much help from the grown ups.

I was pretty happy to sit on the sidelines and capture the afternoon through my lens.

Someday, we're all going to look back on these times and hopefully these images and words make us smile and remember all the fun we had! 





















No comments:

Post a Comment