Thursday, August 3, 2017

The Tolleruds Take on South Dakota: Part 2

One of the places I was adamant on sharing with my family while in the Black Hills, was Harney Peak.

As a kid, my family, as well as our Church family, spent many times hiking up this mountain,

to the highest point in the Black Hills. 

The last time that I hiked this mountain I was 12 years old, the age of my oldest child.

I have vivid, amazing memories of this time and have always wanted to bring my family here to see and experience the same things that I did.

Well, this was day 2 of our vacation...

and we did it.

We hiked the 3.5 miles up and then 3.5 miles down.

It is supposed to take the average hiker 4-5 hours round trip.

I should have known better with these active, athletic kids of ours that they wouldn't settle for "average".

We made it to the top and back in just under 3 hours...

Tanner likes to remind me that if they hadn't been waiting for me, they would have made it in 2.5 hours...

gotta love a 12 year olds snarkiness! 

This first photo is taken at the bottom of the peak, at Sylvan Lake...when I was still smiling, 

still breathing,

not puking, 

not breathing like a smoker (I am not) on Mount Everest.

In other words, a happy mama.




I starting sporting the pony tail about 1/4 of the way up the mountain.

Although a sweaty mess,

still a smiling, happy,

front of the pack mama..



This guy loved the entire trek...aside from the first 15 minutes when he thought we should be done!


At the summit..

the firemans watch tower.

I thought that I was going to pass out.

Tanner, Madi, and Travis made it about 20-30 minutes before me (and Tyson, who was coerced to stay back with his sick, out of shape mama about 1/8 of the way to the top).

Here I am sitting on my arse with my daughter about 20 feet from the top...dying a slow death and wondering just what in the hell I got myself into!

This was so much easier 24 years ago!!

We did it!

Made it to the top!

And watched two very large, very scary storm systems come closer and closer.

What would you do when faced with the same predicament?

Stay at the top and hope it blows by, or continue down and hope for the best?!



Well, we continued down and made the trip in about an hour.

Tyson and Madi and I climbed the rocks in Sylvan Lake and found some spectacular views!



After showers and a quick supper, we ventured into Deadwood and tried our hand at some mini golf.

I don't want to brag but I did get our families only hole in one!

Take that Travis!




No comments:

Post a Comment