Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 140

As this long, sad day comes to a close and my kids are fast asleep in their beds, I feel like I can finally allow the tears to roll down my face.

Being a mom is never an easy job but today was by far one of the hardest days I have had and my heart just aches for my children.

It started out on a much happier note.

We welcomed this sweet little one into our family (she was to be my little animal lover Madi's new pet)...
DSC_0424
DSC_0414
Isn't she the sweetest little bunny you ever saw?
DSC_0416
She was so in love already.
DSC_0428
DSC_0419

This afternoon as we played, we had the sweet baby content in her new home, an older hutch set on the grass in our backyard.

Little did we know that our mama kitty was lurking, just waiting to pounce.

All I remember hearing was the screams and when I looked over the mama was in the hutch with the bunny in her mouth.

I ran as fast as I could to the hutch and grabbed the stupid cat and tried with all my might to pry the poor innocent bunny from the cats fiercely strong jaw.

I don't know how I managed to get it away but after hearing Madi and Tanner crying and screaming behind me, I knew I couldn't just give up...somehow I got it free.

I thought the bunny had survived at this point so I took it in the house to take a look at it's wounds and see what we needed to do.

At one point we realized that it wasn't breathing and had gone limp (luckily I wasn't alone during all of this, my friend Carrie happened to be over with her kids).

My heart sank when I realized that I would have to tell my kids that the bunny didn't make it.

I wish I could take that pain away from them, shelter them from grief and despair but I cannot.

The lesson that dying is a part of living and something that we all have to learn sooner or later was not one I wanted them to deal with anytime soon... but deal with it we have.

There were a lot of questions and prayers along with a lot of tears and it is comforting me to know that tomorrow is a new day.

Our little bunny, who Madi christened 'Princess Hearts' shortly before it died, has gone to a better place.

I pray that my kids and I can move on and not feel angry toward our cat who was simply doing what nature taught it to do.

We won't soon forget you, sweet little bunny...thank you for being a part of our family, however short it was.
DSC_0432

No comments:

Post a Comment