Monday, March 21, 2011

Day 61

I have to be honest today. I love my kids so very much and although it is extremely rewarding, being a mom is such a hard job sometimes!
My oldest son, Tanner, is 6 and in kindergarten. He is very gifted in his ability to manipulate numbers and figure very hard math concepts out in his head. It is amazing and awe inspiring to watch (and since I am not the strongest math student myself, slightly intimidating). He loves working with numbers and excels when he is being challenged (which is already pretty tough to do). Travis and I are working with his teacher on challenging him, and as his first teachers we are trying everything we can to make sure that he isn't getting bored. He has started to show signs at home that he is bored (by acting out with us and his brother and sister) so the past few weeks we have been trying harder.
He is having fun tackling a fourth grade math workbook (and I am being serious when I say having fun), we don't push him. I am also creating new hands on math games and activities for us to do together and for him to do alone. He loves trying new concepts out and mastering them. I am feeling a little better about challenging him, but I am also nervous about the future. I hope that we are able to continue to foster a love of learning in him and not let him get bored and give up with school.
I am not trying to brag about him, at all. I realize there are a lot of parents out there who are thinking, what are you complaining about?! I am trying not to complain, I know there are many children out there who struggle, but for us, this is our struggle. Although having a child who is so advanced is great, it is also a tremendous challenge. Being a parent is hard work, any way you slice it. I pray that we can help all of our children reach their potential and be happy, productive adults!
DSC_1942

No comments:

Post a Comment